Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Am I A Joke?

 Today was a very stressful day at work. We were short-staffed so it was an increased workload for each of us who were there (as would be the case if you don't have as much help as originally accustomed to). So on top of dealing with those stresses came to the ultimate point of a customer going ballistic on me. And given I'm still new to the leadership position in a workplace as well as handling difficult customers, I realize some of my errors in my methods.

I'll hit paste from my phone's clipboard to just have the jist of the story written out. It was originally a text I sent to my manager so that he could have a copy of a sort of transcript, as a "paper trail" (I know it's electronic, but for the saying's sake).

Customer comes in sometime between 2:15-2:30 looking for a pickup order from Uber for Madi H. Frankie happened to be in and said we were working on it (it was a mini 14, so I was teaching Dorian to slice it). Few minutes pass, say 2:30-2:35 or so, she goes "excuse me, I've been standing here for 30 minutes and my order isn't ready yet". I say we were just working on it and it's be a few more minutes.

She says, "you don't even know me, so how could you possibly know what I'm here to pick up for?" I say, "you're picking up for Madi H, right?" She says "yeah, I am, but this is unacceptable that you promised it to be ready at 2:35". I proceed to show her the ticker says 3:05. Claims again it is unacceptable and that she must speak to a manager. I say just give me a moment and I can get it to you. "I must speak to a manager". I say, "the manager isn't in right now, I'm the shift lead, what do you want to do about this?"

I understand that that was improper phrasing, so I admit I was wrong to let me emotions get to me.

At that point, Sanjiv and Kenley step in because they see I'm about to blow, so they pull me to the back so they can deal with it. She goes on a tirade saying how I can't do my job, that I'm a "fucking joke" and my work is laughable that I do it for a living.

She goes on to say "what's his name" and Kenley mentions my first name, and she demands my last name, to which I told her "you're not getting my last name". Then she continues yelling saying "yeah you go back to the back! Does it look like I'm fucking hinged?" I stop interacting with her and stay in the back til she leaves. She's screaming all the while she waited.

For reference, Dorian is a new hire, Frankie, Sanjiv, and Kenley are long standing coworkers. They have worked with me on either numerous occasions or on the daily. The specificity is not necessary per sé.

So while yes, I have some learning from this, I could understand how to best de-escalate and help out for the next time. Also, I know I shouldn't let this hostile customer's words get to me as they are ultimately insignificant, and she's insignificant as well. That her words are nothing more than hot air and unnecessary. But for some reason those words are bothering me and digging deeper than what it should be. You're a fucking joke, and the your work is laughable as a living. I understand it was just heat of the moment and she was going ballistic. I hadn't said any cusses back to her nor anything supremely disrespectful aside from my poorly phrased "what do you want to do about this".

It makes me wonder if maybe it is semi-true. Maybe I am a joke? Maybe my work isn't respectable or honorable? Maybe I have nothing in life? Maybe I am nothing?

I don't know what to think or believe. Obviously friends and coworkers say to brush it off and go about my day. But it's not that easy. Maybe it's because I was tired and exhausted from the day that I couldn't keep my mental shield up that it slipped through? A dagger in the dark? A trap that sprung on the unsuspecting?

I guess I might be overdramatic, but it definitely hurts and I'm hoping this will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...