Friday, March 27, 2020

A Far, Far Better Rest That I Go To; Than I Have Ever Known

There's a certain level of peace that I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to as my life presses onwards day by day. I don't want to get ahead of myself nor ride any laurels prematurely, but I did start getting back to a consistent prayer time at the end of my day. I know some people would say that it'd be better to start my day with prayer than to end it, but this is where I felt comfortable trying to pray, and I would have to assume some prayer is better than none, right?

Regardless of when the "optimal" time to pray is, I feel like it's helping me to connect again with my Heavenly Father. It's a work in progress but I feel like I'm coming to know a peace I have forgotten about. To know that there is solid ground where the Father is and that is all the ground that I need to be standing on.

I've also been able to so far pretty successfully make myself just be grateful and thankful for the times I had with friends at Liberty. I find that instead of feeling sorry for myself and to feel sad of not being able to create more memories with my friends as I once had, that being grateful I even had the chance to make these memories is something amazing. It helps me to feel nostalgia rather than grief. To feel joy and happiness that these moments even happened, rather than be sad it's all gone.

A powerful quote from Walt Disney (I think) is, "Don't be sad that it's over; be glad that it happened." I find that in every day life, it's so easy to love the good times to love the happy times and then when they all eventually come to an end, we feel all sad that those times are leaving us. It's so easy to feel sad and wish for just another moment. To just go back in time to relive these moments. To just try to survive until the next good time that comes next. But in reality, we should just be happier that we even got to experience these things, these moments, these memories in the first place. That yes, we can be sad for ourselves and wish we could go back, but then that makes everyday living so drab and so blasé.

So in application, sure I can be sad that I won't be making memories with S anymore, or at least not in person and not anytime soon, not in the same capacity as we once did. And sure I won't have those late night Minecraft parties or those 3 am Waffle House runs, but hey, what good does it do for me to be sad? It just creates guilt, grief, anxiety for the future because I'll always be living in the past and not looking forwards into my future. I'm going to do my best to be thankful for those memories. I choose to be thankful for everything, because in the end it's what I want more than anything. To have a peace in God rather than grief in the world and longing for something of the world.

It's going to be a long battle. And uphill battle even, but it's going to be worth it because God can provide me a peace better than any I have ever known. And He can provide a rest for me greater than anything I have ever known.

Oh and yes, I totally made a Dark Knight Rises reference in the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...