Friday, February 21, 2020

Thieves Guild

Okay so I know I said I wouldn't make that many posts about the tips I get from my job, but good Lord today was a haul. It almost felt like larceny. The tip was that large.

And I know you could argue, "Geoff your tips aren't really that huge. Waitstaff at restaurants could make the same tip you make or even two or three times your tip from serving one table". And yeah, you're right. But the waitstaff that makes way more in tips than me is also the waitstaff that makes an average of $6.32/hr, according to PayScale. I am paid hourly at I think $11/hr. That's what I heard, so I guess we'll see on pay day on this coming Wednesday.

The way tips work at Jersey Mike's is that only crew members get the tips. Management, corporate, and owners/franchisees do not get tips because they make more money anyways. So since today we only had 5 crew members, and I know that one of the owner's relatives dropped $10 into the tip jar, it was going to be a nice day of tips. If nothing else, my tip was going to be at least $2.

I don't want to sound snobby about this. I mean I don't technically need any of the tips because I'm being supported by my parents still, and I have an hourly rate that would pay me decently. I'm really grateful for any of the extra money I am given. It's nice that people are generous, since really we don't serve them any more than just make the sandwich and maybe have a bit of a conversation with them. It's not like we take their orders, bring them food, refill drinks, etc.

Moving on, for the moment you've all been waiting for (if you care about my tips lol), I made a whopping $11.86. More than an a whole hour's worth of work!!! That's pretty amazing if you ask me. I mean sure I worked 7 hours today, so it's only like getting paid for an 8th hour, but it's still awesome! I also got a bit extra because one of the 5 people who were supposed to split the tip with didn't want to wait the extra couple of minutes to sort out the coins. I'll take 'em if you don't want 'em. Because if I get even $0.05 more per day, over a week is $0.25, every month is $1.00, and then by the end of the year it's an extra $12. Sure $12 doesn't get very far and wouldn't allow me to make or break survival especially over a year, but still. It all adds up.

All in all this was an incredibly nice ending to my first full week of work. Next week I've got a total of 8 more hours than I worked this week, going up to a 40 hour week rather than the 32 I worked this week. And my breaks get lengthened to 30 minutes per day, so I'm not sure if I'd get paid for those 30 minutes, but hey if tips are consistently around even the $5 margin like how the past two days have been, I'll make up for it. It's a win win scenario. Either I get paid for those break time and don't have to work, or the tips I get will effectively be getting paid for that time anyways.

Just look at that nice pile of cash money 😍😍😍

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...