Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Great Idea, Except Execution Was Horrible

Look, I'm going to end up sounding cynical as heck, or highly judgmental, but let me write this out.

I have THEO 201 on Tuesdays and Thursday from 9:45 to 10:35. I get it that we're learning about theology and it all relates back to God and everything.

I also understand that you'd want to make sure to pray to God on a daily basis, because that's how we can communicate and just talk to God. Great idea. I should be praying way more than I do now, but that's a story for another time.

To further build this up, when the class is quiet to listen to the professor to be able to take good notes for any upcoming assignments and tests, it's very easy to get distracted by someone whispering. And at first you figure, okay a little bit of whispering is no big deal. But if that whispering goes on and on and does not stop, and when you turn and look, and the guy isn't even writing any notes down, you begin to wonder what is going on, and why there is so much whispering.

Okay, okay, before I go further, this is when the cynicism kicks in. I hope I'm using that word correctly, because I'm just too lazy to Google the definition, but I think it's being used correctly.

This guy was straight up having his quiet time with God all class period long.

Like I originally said, having quiet time is almost essential (well if I'm being honest, it definitely is, I'm just not fulfilling it myself). But come on,.my dude! Class time is not the time to do that! I mean if you want to spend class praying to God instead of taking notes, by all means, but don't be whispering your prayer out loud! Also don't be praying for wisdom and knowledge for the class you're sitting in, when you can literally take notes instead!

When I do have my rare quiet times with God, if I'm in public, so basically anywhere that's not my room, I'll admit I might whisper it out, but if there are other people around (and maybe this is because I'm self-conscious), but I shift it from a whisper into thoughts. So I don't actually say it, but I think it works the same. Correct me if I'm wrong, but devoting time is still devoting time, right? I mean I'm sure God can hear me whether I physically say it, or mentally say it.

With all that being said, I guess from now on (these eyes won't be blinded by the lights) side note: sorry for the Greatest Showman reference, I just finished watching it in CINE 101 yesterday, so all the songs are stuck in my head, but at least they're good songs, I suppose I'll just have to make sure to not sit near the guy anymore. I mean I just picked what seemed to be an okay seat to me, but I guess I learned from it.

So yes, while it's bad I'm being this harsh, can you understand my side of it? I'm trying to pay attention and take notes, and it doesn't help when some guy decides to whisper out his class-long prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...