Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Patience, Young Padawan

 Funny how the world works sometimes, now isn't it?

It was just 3 days ago that I had written a post (finally) about how I have been texting this girl I like a bunch and eventually texted to ask her out to coffee, to which she surprisingly said yes to. That coffee was originally set for tomorrow, August 17th, at noon, so that we both don't feel pressured to rush anything and can take some time if wanted, but also have enough time for the both of us to head back to our homes and get ready for work at 3 p.m.

Operative word here being "originally"

To my mild dismay, she texted yesterday, Monday, August 15th, that she said she forgot about an appointment she has in the middle of the day on Wednesday and she can't reschedule the appointment before she leaves for her family vacation on Saturday, August 20th, so she asked "can [she] have a rain check" and that we can figure something out. I told her not to worry about the coffee and just to get everything all settled since her vacation is imminent and while I don't know what kind of appointment it is (nor is it really my place to ask) I assume that if it is important for vacation prep, then she should and must prioritize herself rather than grab coffee with a guy she knew for like a month at best.

I mean what else was I supposed to say? It's not like it was really a question and more of just a polite way of informing me that she has other obligations to fulfill first. I get it though, sometimes you are busy scrambling about trying to get everything ready, and then there's a conflict of time. I suppose had I not had a lifeguarding shift today, I could've done the coffee today, but alas here we are.

Naturally, I am a bit bummed out by the text, but there still might be some hope. I mean I get so far as to ask a girl out and she says yes, get all the details squared away and just 48 hours before, I get a text that things have to be postponed at best, or canceled altogether at worst. I'm hoping that she meant it when she asked for a "rain check" but I guess I can't really be mad or anything if she for whatever reason decided she no longer want to grab coffee with me (I was going to write "go out with me", but I'm still not sure if coffee counts as a "date" or whatever, but I guess it's still something that requires a time commitment to go meet someone, regardless if both parties see it as either platonic or romantic).

Here's the thing: I don't really have any reason to doubt her or to think that she might just want to get out of it as a whole. I mean because I informed some of my friends who have been giving me pointers all along and some have asked if I think she's lying to me. I have no reason to think she'd lie to me, because if she didn't want to go, she probably could've texted me tomorrow morning as a last minute thing and say like "hey something came up, I can't make it." What I am hoping is that since she gave a fair bit of a heads up/texted in advance, then perhaps she felt bad about the remembrance of the time conflict and maybe she does want to get coffee with me or something.

Whatever the case may be, I've just returned the texting I do have with her to just regular casual talk, also trying to ask her some questions about different things to continue to get to know her better over text so that maybe I'll have a better idea of what to talk about should I get the chance to do something with her. I figured that if I'm going to try to reschedule things, I'll wait until after her vacation, probably give her a few days after she comes home so as to not bombard her or make her think I've been counting down to the first minute I can ask her out again, and see what happens from there.

If everything is still possible for working out in "my favor" so to speak, then this just simply pushes back the timeline by a couple of weeks. I mean it'll be good to just slow things down a bit and not rush into anything so quickly. If there is something to be had between her and myself, then it'll have to develop at the right timing and pacing and cannot and should not be rushed.

All in all, I guess if it ultimately doesn't work, it'd be a shame, but I guess I would have gained the experience of knowing how to keep conversation going over text and to just try my hand at asking a girl out because it'll have to be done eventually if I am to ever be in a true relationship.

Here's to hoping for the best, and expecting the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...