Monday, March 22, 2021

Monitor Yourself

Not sure if I'm gonna title this one but this one has got my blood boiling.

The way our family dynamic works is that we eat dinner together or at least sit around the table together as much as possible. Granted tonight that my dad is working so he wasn't home and that might be the sole reason for the unnecessary brashness.

My older brother, 24 y/o, decided not to eat but at least was at the table. Even then he wasn't present at all during any of the conversations as he was engrossed in his phone (we usually try to not have phones at the table to encourage communication and generating family time).

The first issue was when I was merely expressing my dislike of extending my work hours by just an hour without even asking me. Sure I wasn't at the 40 hours total for a full time job necessarily, but my line of work is hourly with the cap at 40. It's more or less up to you how many or how few you want to work. Obviously too few and you'll just get sacked. So I get it it's 1 more hour and I should just take it and the pay associated with the extra time especially as I should be dropping 2 hours soon. I just personally don't like the 3-4 o'clock hour as business is slow and I'd rather skip the pay and be home or doing something else (it might be worth noting that my hours have been 7 am to 3 pm for a long, long time, so it's just weird they're changing it without even asking if I had the availability. I mean I do, but just even asking out of courtesy would've been nice). My brother says "you can't just say you have to leave at 3 because you don't want to work, that's just life." And sure there's some validity in that statement. However, he's not innocent of it just being "life". Not too long ago (I've not heard much about recently, so I don't know if he's still pursuing it) he was pursuing flight lessons to become a pilot. Good for him and all finding something he enjoys and good on him for it. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own. That being said, say last month or so, he took a "sick day" from work to go flying. Sure he would need those flying hours for qualifications, yada yada yada, but is it not ironic you chose to skip work to do something you'd rather do? Is that not the same as me wanting to be home or even the gym instead of standing around a dead work hour?

I will admit, that doesn't disqualify the truth that sometimes life requires you to do things that are not necessarily wanted, but it had to happen. I get that. But don't come lecturing me about life being that way when you take sick days to go do something else preferred.

The real issue comes some 15-30 minutes later. He apparently is in some bad mood and I have no idea what his problem is. He recently bought 2 new computer monitors and I suppose he figured to finally bring down the monitors he isn't using down to the basement from the second floor (where the bedrooms are). And somehow he figures to try to do it all in one trip. Naturally monitors aren't terribly heavy, however they are bulky, and not really easy to transport fully assembled. When he gets to the main floor, he attempts to turn on the lights to the basement and his grip must've faltered and he drops a monitor down a flight of stairs. Presumably it gets destroyed and that's the end of that. Well so you would think.

He gets mad that that happened (and honestly I would too, because that was something I probably spent money on and watching it not get repurposed). And maybe I took it too personally (in hindsight) and he's saying "no one's helping me as they watch me f*cking struggle". Mind you, my sister and I would've gladly helped, however we never were asked, and we were occupied showing each other TikToks or memes as we found them to be funny. We had 0 clue of what he was trying to accomplish, and with no request for help, why is it suddenly my problem? Sure, he was probably just mad at the situation, but he needs to learn to humble himself when he can't carry 2 bulky objects at once.

So he didn't like that I said "if you wanted my help, you should've just asked". He starts cussing at me saying I don't even remember what. It was incredibly heated, but the key thing is that he was cursing at me from the basement, and I'm in kitchen (the basement stairs entrance is in the kitchen) merely defending myself in the moment as he verbally berates me. Now, before I continue, yes I have sworn at people and yes I'm still not necessarily clean of swearing, but the hostility towards someone for no reason and to continue was uncalled for. Admittedly I wasn't helping the situation by shouting back at him and saying "you think you're so tough using all these words at me, why don't you come up here and say it to my face?"

So that's been my night, how was yours? At the end of the day, this will (probably) just be water under the bridge, but I think I'm gonna give him the cold shoulder so to speak because it's not my fault he decided to lash out at the lack of help that he never asked for. If he wants to be macho man and curse at his own family members, I have no sympathy for how he feels or the whole situation. You get what you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...