Monday, May 25, 2020

Most Capable or Most Flexible?

This morning I had opened the store for the first time ever. It wasn't terribly different than what I already know how to do. It was more of just doing it all, and there were minor things such as making sure to turn on the condensers for the drop-ins (where the vegetables and produce are stored on the front counter) and turning on the grill. Everything else, I have done to an extent or learned previously, so this was essentially like a final, cumulative exam. It's kinda funny because it's late May, and while I would've been out of college already by now, some colleges finish around now, and even if they don't it's still May. The point I'm trying to make is that I had been taught various things at work and now in May I am pushed to the highest limit I've had at work and had to do it all. Just like finals season. And it's funny because, well, I'm not an academic student anymore.

It was honestly kinda fun, and I don't know if that's weird. I had to cook all the bacon, slice the lettuce and onions, prep and bake all the bread, set up the front counters, and slice tomatoes and bring them out front. Like I said, I've done all of these things before, just not all of them in one shift, nor to the amount I did today. It killed the first 3 hours of work incredibly quickly and I'm surprised at how long it all took me. I will admit I was a bit tired, but that was simply poor time management and being irresponsible with binge watching Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix instead of going to shower and hit the hay earlier than midnight.

At work, my manager said that the reason he called me in 2.5 hours earlier than what I have been doing since the pandemic started and hours were cut (in comparison, I only came in 1 hour earlier than I did before the pandemic), was because he said he and the store owner wanted me to officially be trained on how to open the store. That way I might be put on the schedule to open it completely by myself, depending on how they evaluate my performance of today. He also said that the reason they chose me is because I am their "most capable employee". I don't know if that is really the case or if it's just because I'm more flexible with scheduling my hours or what. Whatever the case may be though, I'll just give my best effort and just do as I'm asked. Maybe I'll get a raise, maybe I'll get promoted, maybe I'll move up the chain in the Jersey Mike's franchise, who knows. Or maybe none of that will happen and this all is just a stepping stone for the future, teaching me how to manage time better and just get multiple tasks done by a certain time. I don't know, but I'll just do whatever it is I am needed to do.

I guess it feels kind of nice to hear that they say I am the most capable. That means they notice me and my work, and whatever it is I am doing (which I believe to be my best effort with room for improvement whenever someone sees that they have to suggest something) pulls me away from the pack a bit and they now want to give me more responsibilities and see what I can do. Maybe this is all a test before they will allow me to do or get something more. I don't know? They know I will stay for an extended shift if needed (in reference to my 12.5 hour shift), and they know I can do whatever they need me to do, all they need is to ask.

I guess at the end of the day I shouldn't let this get to my head. I shouldn't go bragging to friends that they think I'm the most capable (well by friends I mean to coworkers, because people outside of work it's more of me just expressing my excitement for my experiences and events in my workplace) and I should just give it my best all the time. From there, we will see what any of this means, whether there is more to it than meets the eye or if it's just surface value.

Either way, it's getting pretty exciting to have more responsibilities given to me. I mean sure that means I have more things to be held accountable for and less margin for error, but it also means they trust me to an extent to get the things done and to trust me to be who they need me to be.

I feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...