Thursday, April 23, 2020

Why The Customer Isn't ALWAYS Right

It's a weird world out there.

Well, I feel like we already knew that, but it's just that with the coronavirus and everyone showing a bit more of their crazy side, we just notice all the craziness, the weirdness, the stupidity, and in some instances the entitlement.

I know that in most cases the customer, or the client, is always right. That whoever is working in an establishment should do their best to make sure the customer has a good time and a good experience, to therefore encourage repeat visits, or more business through recommendations, etc. I know that while we shouldn't be like a slave to a master, we should do our best to accommodate the customer as much as possible.

Given the pandemic that's been plaguing the United States for the past 3 months (or so), we have had to make some drastic changes to the way we operate and the policies we enforce in order to keep everyone safe. And that includes the workers and employees too. There is a little bit of push and shove, but it works out for the most part.

For example, we had to close our restrooms to the public so as to keep it a bit more sanitary (well, in theory) and just have less traffic in and out. Sometimes a customer would ask, "do you have a bathroom" to which the response is always, "unfortunately, due to recent circumstances and events we had to close the restrooms to the public for safety of our employees". I mean if a customer goes in the restroom once, it's not a big deal for them. But for us who use that during the entirety of our shift? That could pose a problem. If some sickness is lingering in there (which there probably is and our bodies are mostly protected against it anyways), one visit might not do harm, but 2, 3, 4 uses might. Sure you could argue to just drink less so as to avoid multiple trips to the bathroom. But then what? Dehydrate myself and feel parched all day long to avoid the bathroom? I don't think that that is wise either because a weakened immune system due to dehydration (I don't know if that's a thing or not, but I suspect it might be) seems just as dangerous as not using a restroom.

Now, for those customers regarding the restroom, they typically understand and they don't say anything more. But today was a different issue and a different response.

To avoid having us come into contact with any garbage that is in a ways unnecessary to us (aside from byproducts of opening food items and what not), we have removed the garbage can from the dining room area. This one customer comes in to pick up his online order, which is fine, but he's carrying a take out bag from Chick-fil-A, with presumably garbage and an empty cup as well (since you could see the top of the cup with the lid and the red straw sticking out).

The customer asks, "is there a garbage anywhere?" We respond with, "no outside garbage please", since technically a CFA bag is not created by our hand and it shouldn't be our responsibility to dispose of a customer who didn't want to take care of it elsewhere/at home. The customer then has the audacity to try to leave the trash on one of our tables and just walk out. The store owner starts partially yelling at him saying, "no no, you better not leave your trash here". The customer replies with, "well what am I supposed to do?" "We're not a Chick-fil-A so please do not leave your trash on the table." "But I'm a customer!" "If you leave your trash on our table, that'd be pretty rude of you to do that." "You know what? I'll just never come back!"

I was in disbelief as I watched this all go down. The fact that the customer was willing to sacrifice his character and leave trash in our store, and then try to pull the "I'm a customer" as if him spending his money to buy food all the sudden gives him the right to do whatever he wants?

I could not believe I witnessed what I did. And I don't want to sound cocky or arrogant to say something like, "oh well you're not making or breaking our business" because I'd imagine it's probably very lucky that we even have as much business as we do, plus that would be unnecessary of me to be like that.

Anyways, I memorized the guy's license plate of his white SUV (I didn't pay attention the make or model) but C17JNJ is the culprit to it all. Is it really that bad if that information is here? License plates are on display all the time so I can't imagine it's illegal to share.

All in all, it just shows that some people just really let out their true colors under circumstances that are tense, or even scenarios in which something does not go to our liking. He didn't like the fact that we won't throw away his garbage, so he tried to leave it and force us to deal with it.

The customer just isn't always right. Within reason, they can be, but this was beyond reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...