Sunday, April 5, 2020

The First Avenger Cont'd

In continuation from the previous post, I wanted to take a post to talk about the aspect of heroism and becoming bigger than oneself to step up to the challenges presented before them.

As you may know, I have stepped away from being the Liberty Batman. I know that maybe the Liberty Batman was not really much of a "hero" so to speak in comparison to what real heroes do, but it was my semblance and my version of a hero. As a way to inspire myself to be better than where I was at, than who I was at any given moment. To be like the Batman and do whatever is necessary to provide for the people.

In my time of taking a hiatus, I feel a draw bringing me back. I feel something calling out to me to take up my mantle I had created and thrown down. I feel it like it's a magnet, and the complementary one to myself, pulling me ever closer to it rather than repelling me as two similar ends of a magnet would. I feel it like a riptide in the ocean, pulling me in no matter how much I try to resist it. Except unlike a riptide, this is not one I can swim parallel to shore to escape, nor do I really feel like I want to escape this pull. It's something I feel drawn to and feel like I should take back up.

While watching Captain America, and watching him go from being just a man who has nothing special about him except for the good inside of him and wanting to serve his country, to becoming a man who has a lot of new power and abilities, and step up to become something that would be a total service, was awe-inspiring. To watch him sacrifice himself and step away from things and people that he loved to make sure the greater good survived, was almost like a wake up call. Sure, it's a movie, and sure it's all scripted, but it's meant to tell a story and maybe even inspire others to do better in their own lives.

To be a hero is to put others before yourself. To be a hero is to become something bigger than yourself but not for your gain, but for the gain of others around. To be a hero is to face the challenges thrown at you with a level-head and solid judgment and thinking. To be a hero, it is to be willing to sacrifice for others.

And guess who feels empowered and feels good when he's referred to as a hero? That's right, yours truly.

So as I go about my day to day, maybe I'm not actually Batman, and maybe I'm no longer Liberty's Batman, but I can still be like Batman. I can take back up that mantle of the Dark Knight. I can push myself to be better. I can strive to be bigger than I was before and face any challenge thrown at me with rational behavior and thinking processes. I can make myself focus more on others and be willing to sacrifice for them to make it easier and better for them. Sure I shouldn't lose myself in the process, but I must be willing to serve. A true hero can and will serve whenever possible.

I'll take this as a chance to remember what I had created the Batman for. I'll take it as a chance to step back up to where I was, and don the mantle once again. Maybe not as Liberty's Batman, maybe not even as a Batman that anyone can look up to, but as a Batman that inspires me to be better. To mature myself more and think of how I can be a good servant leader. To be someone who does the right thing for the greater good of those around him, not just for the sole purpose of getting applauded and laurels aplenty. To not do anything for the recognition, but for the purpose of just doing good because it is good and it is right.

It will be a journey, but it will be a journey well worth every ounce of effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...