Thursday, April 30, 2020

Lost My Rhythm

A year ago, I had this drive to go to the gym 4 days a week, to lift weights and do cardio so as to improve upon my physique and physical conditioning. A year later, to today, I struggle with getting a third day of working out in.

This past Monday and Tuesday, I manage to do 2 days in a row of working out. Yesterday, I decided to take a rest day, and then the same thing happened today, so that now I've skipped out on two days that were potentials for exercising.

I don't know why I can't just get myself to go workout. I have the energy for it, I just choose to go play video games (mainly Skyrim as of right now) and spend my whole afternoon after work on gaming. Then comes dinner and then I typically chill (save for Monday night when I forced myself to go for a run on the treadmill after dinner).

I just want to improve my condition again. I feel like I'm out of shape, and I know the only way to get back into shape is to make sure I keep consistent with working out. Back when I had aikido, it was no problem to at least get some form of cardio, if nothing else, movement 6 days a week. Now I'd apparently be lucky if I get 2 days in (last week I only did 2 days, and this week I've so far only done 2 days).

I keep telling myself and others or I post on social media (mainly Twitter for this one) that I will "get into shape" or "get fit" by my 21st birthday. Well, guess what? My 21st is now under 3 months away. I don't think I can get there if I keep skipping out on working out.

I don't know how I managed to get myself to the gym for 4 days a week a year ago, and then each day I'd be working out anywhere between an hour and a half to two hours to do a semi-lengthy weight lifting regimen, followed by 20-30 minutes of cardio.

Maybe is it because I don't have access to a full gym anymore? Because all I have is at most 50-60 pounds I can slap onto a barbell. Well that weight is including the weight of the small barbell, so I really don't have any heavy weights to use. That and I also don't have any place to do bodyweight workouts like chin ups (which I wonder if I can still do). The only thing I can do are push-ups that I do most mornings, but that's not enough to get me into shape. I feel like I need to do more. I want to do more, but I suppose I'm just not wanting it enough.

It just seems hard to try to keep pressing on and carving out time to work out when I can very easily and very comfortably sit down at my desk and play some video games. I feel like I just want to chill on the couch and watch TV after dinner, so I don't really play video games then, and then I feel like I don't want to miss out on any time to play games. I guess it all comes down to priorities and what I want to do.

I'm going to try to get myself to workout tomorrow after work. Then do at least cardio each day of the weekend. From there, if I can achieve 3 days in a row, I just might keep pressing on to doing some level of activity for 7 days a week until the day arrives that I feel sluggish or my body is giving me signs to slow down and rest.

Wish me luck, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...