Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Gentleman

During my time at Liberty, I had stayed my entirety of my 5 semesters on the same dorm, in the same building, and the same hall. Granted I changed rooms each start of the academic year, but I had returned to the familiar community and the friends I had come to know. I absolutely loved the Circle and the overall South Campus life. Who says that we can't have fun just because we don't have fancy common rooms?

On my hall, logically referred to as 25-3, for being the third floor of building number 25, we had this running idea. We called ourselves the Men of 25-3. And that's not just because we're all over 18 so now in the eyes of the law we are men. The idea was that it would be in these first few years of no longer being a minor in which we would develop ourselves as a person, find our own identity with a sense of partial independence, develop our mentalities and logical processes, etc. We were to enter the hall as boys and leave as men. To become a gentleman, and to learn basics like how to treat a woman, how to respect women and other people, and how to be a strong leader. To learn to not compromise our morals even if the choices laid out before us would prove to be easier to bend to the will of others strong-arming us. To have integrity and character grow beyond anything we had previously been.


We created these shirts, as a reminder that no matter where we go, we are a Man of 25-3. The sense of brotherhood, and sense of unity. Even as I have left way earlier than I had originally planned, I would hope that former members or even technically current members would happily acknowledge me as one of their own.

I bring this up because I have a lot of shirts from Liberty. From various freebies here and there, to ones that I purposely bought like my hall's t-shirt. As I put on the shirt after I showered, I had a reminder of who I am and who I am supposed to be. Where I came from and the experiences I now hold. That I need to be able to rise up. To soar higher than anything the world throws at me. There will always be bumps in the road and sometimes detours or sidetracks that knock us off our original plan, our original itinerary. But that's okay, because that's what life is about. To learn how to deal with the tough breaks and the darkness, and to still consciously choose to be better than any low thrown at us. To constantly improve upon ourselves so that we may call ourselves a man (if applicable, depending on who's reading this, but the principles are similar), and to be a light rather than to be something that smothers other's lights out.

Like I said, it's an uphill battle. It's trying to go upstream without a paddle. It's trying to push a boulder larger than ourselves up a steep hill. And as I take this quick breather away from those dark thoughts I have been having, I need to remind myself that this darkness will pass. That I need to remember who I am, and more importantly who the One who has carried me here and will continue to carry me when I fail in my strength and endurance, because as a human I have my limitations. But there is One who has no end, for He is the Alpha and the Omega.

So as I go on with my day to day, I need to evaluate what I hold near and dear to my heart. I need to remember what is important and try to make the most of what I've got. I need to become more intentional and not just try to assume things will happen, especially if they have been left unsaid. No one is a mind-reader, and I cannot be upset for the things no one else except myself knows about or wants.

It's time to become a gentleman again. To take initiative. To be a leader. To take back up all my morals and values I once held but cast off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...