Tuesday, April 7, 2020

A Few Good Things

Even as I walk these pathways of seemingly heavy darkness, I find it semi-reassuring or calming that I can still find moments throughout my days that can boost my morale and keep my head up a bit.

As of late at work, I've been training and practicing to do all sorts of stuff I hadn't done before since I was brand new. So obviously there needs to be training and sufficient practice before I can be given permission to fill orders so as to make sure the customer gets a uniform experience and there is a good quality control on everything.

Through experimenting on my own lunch meals, I learned how to grill on the flat top. When one day my allergies hit me hard out of nowhere, I was put on the grill all day, filling customer orders and online orders from the grill with the supervision of one of my bosses, to give me guidance and make sure everything was going smoothly and well.

Last week, I had begun practicing how to slice meats on the deli slicer and prepare cold cut sandwiches. I had previously just "sprinkled" which is when we add toppings, dressings, and seasonings to the customer's preference. Before the sprinkling, I had been just the wrapper, where I spent my days cutting and wrapping the subs for the customer. Today, I had been able to get proficient enough at slicing so that I was filling online orders as well as taking new orders from any customers that walked in. It was getting a bit over my head since my slicing speed needs work, but I was keeping up enough.

At some point towards the latter half of my shift, an order comes in for a regular size cold cut as well as a giant size hot sub with extra meat and extra cheese. My other coworkers as well as my bosses were not up front, so I took the initiative to fill the cold cut first since I figured one of my coworkers was pretty much designated to the grill. By the time I had sprinkled and wrapped up the cold sub, I noticed my coworker had not come to the front. So I decided to start the hot sub myself. One of my coworker's eventually noticed I was on the grill and he asked if I had done the cold sub. I told him yes, and I guess he was surprised at my efficiency or something. He told my boss about it and allegedly (because I didn't hear it) my boss said, "Geoff's killing it, he's getting good at this". So my boss is impressed with my ability to learn the skills they need me to perform and that I can do it all myself without help. Sure help is always great, but sometimes it's not always readily available.

It felt good that my boss was impressed with my skill. It was just a good feeling. So in the midst of the heavy darkness I face as my mind runs those very negative statements through my mind (in the previous post in case you're interested), I still can find glimmers of light that can keep my fire lit just a little longer.

I hope the dawn is coming, but it's hard to say. If it doesn't and this is just the "getting darker" phase and not really the darkest my world is going to be, then I don't know if I have the strength nor the endurance to press on until that dawn comes.

I still need help. I need support. If any friend reads this, please I beg of you to reach out to me. Help me through this time of darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...