Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The End of 3

Well, my end of 3 was 2 months ago, but for my friends, well, it's here and now. Sort of.

With my contact to friends who are academically successful, given Liberty's decision to switch to online for the rest of this semester, some of my friends are not returning to campus to complete the semester. Well then again, if everything is online, it kinda wouldn't make any sense, save for a social aspect. I don't know all the details, nor do I need to know, but all I know is that everything seems so out of place and so tough. Not just for me, but for everyone. 2020 has been such a weird year and it continues to keep revealing that the low points and the craziness is not even close to stopping.

One of my friends now has to collect all of their belongings from the dorms by Tuesday. So they have 1 week to go get everything. Now if they had been as relatively close as I am to the school, it wouldn't be terrible. I mean when I had to go get my stuff, we did it all in less than 24 hours. 7 hours down, a couple hours for food, maybe an hour or two to collect my stuff, and then 7 hours home. It was maybe 20 hours round trip (left 6, maybe 7 am, came home 2 am the next morning).

But I know that not all my friends share a 7 hour road trip. That some of them it's significantly less time, maybe an hour one way, but then others are 13 hours or even as much as 20 hours one way.

That is insane. It's a ridiculous amount of driving that they expect to be done. I mean sure they could argue it's not their fault that the student chose a school so far away, but 1 week to collect everything? With a 40 hour round trip driving time and the fact that parents would need to help with that to make sure there's enough cargo space is crazy. Even for me, when I went to get my stuff, had I taken solely my Mini Cooper, I would have had to make easily a 2nd, maybe even 3rd trip. But luckily I took the family mini-van. My parents had to reschedule work and everything so that we could do it. For a 1 calendar day thing, it wasn't the end of the world. But 40 hours of driving? Yikers.

I don't know why this bothers me so. Is it just because of the emotional attachment I still feel to this one friend? Is it genuine confusion as to how I wonder Liberty thought this would work? I don't know. All that I do know is that this makes everything an incredibly stressful week or just time in general.

Legitimately, this year has not been a great year. Everyone, beyond myself, had once thought this year was going to be good. We had ideas for our group to hang out, we had ideas for adventures, we had ideas to even just finish the school year out together. Then for me when things changed, I had new ideas in response to the change, and now those ideas had to change, and still things are changing for me.

This year has been hectic. This year has been testing me so much. I've learned a lot and I know there is a lot more in store for me to learn. It's wearing me out. But I think I'll author a separate post so as to not digress from my original point here.

All in all, I worry for my friends and I feel sorry for them. This is one major confusing time and everything just doesn't make any sense. I just hope things get better for everyone, everywhere. Past friends, present friends, future friends. All of them. This year was supposed to be great, and it's all going downhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...