Friday, February 7, 2020

Step 1 (Hopefully)

I hope that this is step one, but I was talking to my sensei (Japanese term for teacher/instructor) after aikido last night, and he mentioned that a friend of mine who normally is scheduled to teach on Fridays mentioned to him (my sensei) that I could teach on Fridays.

I had explained that since my friend is slowly getting back into the swing of things after some complications made it so that training would become difficult, he would rather train a little more often than teach. While teaching is good since it tests whether or not you know your stuff to explain it better to anyone who may not understand, training is similarly important to practice the motion whether throwing or receiving.

My sensei seemed to be okay with the idea of letting me teach on Fridays. I mean I've not ever been  on his bad side so to speak. At least not to the point of him wanting to disallow me to teach. In fact he's allowed me to teach before, but usually in covering a class rather than being on schedule. I've taught since first kyu, the rank before black belt.

I guess nothing is for certain and I'm not sure if this officially puts me on the teaching schedule, but if it does, then this just might be the very beginning of a dream that I yearn for. To teach aikido one day. And in order to do that, I'd need to work my way up the ranks, definitely get more teaching experience, and then maybe get promoted officially to fukushidoin or even shidoin if I get that high rank before starting a dojo (difference is as early as 1 year of training after 2nd or 3rd degree black belt, and the latter is after 4th degree black belt).

Maybe things are working out as planned. I still need to figure out what I'm going to be doing with my life in the meantime before I get to those ranks, but hey, it's a start, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...