Monday, February 17, 2020

Do I Really Value Being A Hero?

The title is the main question I'll be tackling for this post.

I wonder sometimes, do I actually value being called a hero? Or are there certain pre-requisites that need to be fulfilled before being called a hero makes me feel good and empowered?

For context, and I know I shouldn't take this too far, but at work I was doing a ton of dishes that had piled up. One coworker had said "Geoff, you're my hero for taking on all those dishes". It was a male coworker who said it, so it's just a platonic relationship there.

Then before that, I was sweeping the dining room floors while another coworker was wiping down tables. At some point my boss said "I have a task for either one of you". My coworker decided to go for it (I let him because I don't mind the cleaning). My boss then says, "no worries, Geoff can do the job of 2 people, he's the Superman". Okay preferably I'd like to be the Batman, but I guess Superman isn't too bad because bulletproof and powers and stuff. Kryptonite bad though. Then again, Batman would theoretically have a lot more weaknesses than Superman.

Perhaps my boss was just joking around because he's pretty lighthearted and likes to make jokes to keep things upbeat and fun. So he probably doesn't really think I am the Superman, but eh that's a bit of details that don't matter, just stick with me for this.

When either of these instances happened, I just went along with it, but it didn't have the same feels good feeling that I had the last time I was called a hero. And I've only been called a hero twice before either of these instances. There's a blog post about it somewhere, I think during January of this year. If not, then the tail end of December 2019.

The last time I was called a hero, I got all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I felt empowered. I felt like I was actually a hero. But then the context for those two instances was that I was called a hero by my former crush. This was back when we both had ideas of being together and even planned on it. This was all before life went upside down.

So do I actually value being called a hero? Do I feel like I deserve to be a hero to just anyone if they deem it so I get that accolade? Or do I only value it when a girl of interest calls me her hero? Do I only like it because it makes me like those fairytales of being the knight in shining armor saving the damsel in distress?

I don't know what all the make of this. I don't know why I write all of this. Does it really matter in what instances I take the term of being a hero to heart? Does it all even matter? Sometimes they could just be joking. Or they could be lighthearted and say things to keep it fun.

Do I deserve to be a hero? Regardless of whether it's to a girl of interest. Just a hero to anyone at all. Am I worthy of that accolade?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...