Monday, February 17, 2020

Perseverance

Like many things I've come to find in life, perseverance and fighting through the time makes things better.

Remember how my last post about my job I was saying I was burnt out a bit/extra tired? Turns out it was just because I had been lacking a bit of rest. And now with another shift under my belt, I'm learning how to move around, whether it be marching in place, or taking other tasks, so that I can bend the knees more and reduce the tiredness they result in. Today's shift went lightning fast. Maybe that was because I was "sprinkling", which is the term Jersey Mike's uses for adding your vegetables, toppings, dressings, etc. Wrapping is definitely a decent job to get the time passing, but sprinkling has a bit more to do, so it makes the time fly by quickly. They are both equally important, I just think one is better than the other for perception of time.

I hope that as I keep on just going to work that I'll eventually build up an endurance to standing for the long periods at a time. If for nothing else, it would be good for me physically. Standing does technically burn more calories than sitting, although it is a slight burn, so nothing dramatic. But it's still better than nothing.

We'll see how the rest of the week goes, but as of now, I've been given an extra hour of work. Typically I would be going in Monday through Friday, 10am to 4pm, but for Fridays I've been asked to come in at 9am. I say asked because technically they asked me if it was okay. I don't know how they chose me as opposed to any of my other coworkers who could do it, but I did overhear someone saying something along the lines of "do you want to ask Geoff if he can do it?" So from what I overheard, I was first choice. Not sure if that means anything, and I'm also not sure if I heard correctly since I was busy sweeping the dining room floor. Upon accepting the extra hour, officially converting my Friday shift to a 7 hour shift, the owner kinda cheers "Geoff, my man!" I mean that's just how the owner is, so whether or not it was truly celebratory or not, time will tell. I'll just take my responsibilities and do whatever I am asked, so as to be a team player and show that I am ready to do what the team needs me to do.

So instead of the original 30 hours I was going to work this week, it looks like it will be a 31 hour workweek for me. And seems like it will be consistently 31 hours.

I accept the challenge. Because within the word "challenge" are the letters for the word "change". If I want to truly change and prove to former friends that I have changed, I need to challenge myself. Wherever challenge arises. I can do this.

Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...