Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Weight Up For Me

There's a pun but a simple truth in the title.

Ever since coming home for break, and now indefinitely as I look for a job and think if I want to continue my education, I've been putting on a couple pounds. Then it turned into several pounds, and sadly I'm back up to 200 pounds. At 5'11" (sometimes I'm 5'10", depending on the scale), that puts my BMI at 27.9. 2 points below the top end of the "overweight" category, and 2.1 points below the qualification for "obese".

I know BMI can't be the only number you look at because it doesn't account for differences in fat weight or muscle weight. But the idea is that I'm too heavy and not muscular enough to brush it off. I'd look way different at 200 pounds if I were mostly muscle.

Last I checked, my estimated body fat percentage was 21.8%, which isn't bad, except that was when I was 185-190 pounds. I doubt I put on 10 pounds of muscle, especially since I don't do push ups everyday like I used to, and it's been 3 months since I last had my 4 day a week gym routine. Sure I've been going to aikido practically 6 days a week, but sometimes those classes are slower in movement and more focused on developing the technique and skill. Other times, I'm slow moving because I'm teaching someone new or inexperienced. Not like I have a problem with that, especially if I want to open my own aikido dojo/school someday, but if aikido is my main exercise source, I gotta ramp things up elsewhere.

I could also probably not eat as many snacks and desserts, so that would help.

I gotta rebalance my life and drop some of the fat and rebuild my strength. I've been insecure about my weight since 2010-2011 when the bullying started, and even years later, I don't like my weight.

Here's to maybe Day 1 of restarting the old flames? I gotta push myself harder, since I'm not on campus and getting 10-15K steps everyday to help stave off the weight gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...