Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Hero

Last night I watched 1917. I'd say it's an excellent film that inspires you to keep on persevering when life seems like all is lost. That even when you tried your best to do good and there's reason for you to step away from everything and give up, there's still a chance to get back up and work towards improving the circumstances.

Without spoiling the movie too much, I guess I'll talk about what I came to talk about.

Maybe it's just because of the way I am, but maybe there can still be some good that comes out of it. But for the longest time, or at least for as long as I can remember, I always liked getting trophies awards, badges, etc. I liked the idea of having a rank system that I can climb up, and while I do have some ranks that I can legitimately work to climb up (for example, aikido since I cannot dictate when I get to the next rank) I have created instances in which I create my own ranking system. I had used to run a fun group centered around Assassin's Creed in which my friend and I from home created our own "Assassin Brotherhood" and we had ranks that we climbed from the bottom up. Then as that group grew through getting some friends from college into it, we had a decent rank system going. It's too bad that group fell apart.

Now I find myself contemplating on creating a new rank system for the Batman account I run. Well more of the Facebook group that is associated with it (The Liberty Knights). If I did create a rank system, I'd probably change the name of the group. I'd also have to decide what the ranks are and what the purpose of people climbing the ranks would be. See it's easy for something centered around a video game because then we can all pretend like we worked our way up to become these Master Assassins. But what are you going to do for something themed after Batman? Especially when Batman typically works alone and even if he does work with others, he wouldn't have a following he could command (unless you look at the tail end of The Dark Knight Returns, when he's effectively in retirement as Batman and there's a bunch of people trying to uphold justice as he had as Batman).

Okay I sidetracked there for a moment.

I guess the term or idea of being a hero is something that interests me. To be acknowledged for doing something heroic or doing something that makes me feel like I am a protector or something? I'm not really sure why I like the idea of being a hero. Maybe because I still want to emulate Batman and he's a hero? I mean if you read a past blog post, it warmed my heart to be called my crush's hero.

Maybe after seeing 1917 and thinking of the idea of being a war hero sounds kinda cool, but that's no reason to join the armed forces.

Do I really want to do something heroic for the sake of doing something heroic? Or am I seeking recognition and fame or what have you because of the accolades of being a hero? I guess I need to figure out what it is that I want from it and whether or not it's a noble intent or a selfish one because I want the new titles and I want to feel recognized and accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...