Friday, November 15, 2019

Should've Known Better

I'm a hypocrite. And sure that might not be news to some people, but let me get you up to speed.

Sometimes while I'm walking around campus, I get a little irked or whatever you'd call it when someone it about to walk into me because they simply aren't looking up at least every now and then from their phones while walking. Sometimes I'd just say something like "heads up" and then get them to move sorta last minute (or would it be second?) before what would've been an impact. I mean I also don't mean to come off as some brute who would muscle my way through everything or just slam into people, but at the same time, just common sense.

But guess who was lacking common sense today? Me. Yup. I totally did the thing that I try to correct other people on. I neglected to look up from my phone more often than I should be if I'm even on my phone. I mean sure, you could argue, "well Geoff, you shouldn't even be on your phone while walking," and you'd be right. Part of me tries to justify that I am a little more aware than others, but that's probably just some misconception I keep telling myself.

So today, I was walking down the weird stairs outside the library (they're weird because it's 2-3 steps, then a maybe 5-6 foot landing before the next grouping of stairs; not sure if that was for stylistic purposes or what, but I digress) and I was, as you probably guessed, on my phone. One of my friends came right up to me and said "boo" to which I was caught off guard and since I wasn't paying attention, I almost run into her. The next few moments were a blur, but all I know is that I probably and most likely caused her to drop her phone. And it decides to land screen first on the concrete/stone pathway.

You can probably guess the end results of a glass screen hitting a stone pathway. But if you can't, I'll give you a moment........... Did you figure it out yet? Well, if not, here I go. The screen shattered. Huge spiderweb crack on it.

And I feel absolutely terrible. I caused this. Had I not been dumb and on my phone while walking, down stairs nonetheless, and this wouldn't have happened. Had I just heeded my own advice to be more aware of my surroundings, it wouldn't have happened. Had I just had common sense and figure that whatever was on my phone or whatever I wanted to do on it could wait until I got to my destination or at least just stop on the side of the walkway, this would not have happened.

I feel like it's all my fault. I don't know what to do, and I let instinct kick in and when my friend was talking to someone (probably a classmate, but that's insignificant to my actions) I just darted away. Fight or flight kicked in (I'm assuming), and my body chose flight. I vanished, went back to my dorm, and now I'm here on my blog. Venting about it, because of how bad I feel.

To my friend who's phone I absolutely destroyed, I am so so sorry. If there's anything I can do to make it up, I'll try to make ends meet so that I can at least try to compensate you for the damages that I caused.

To anyone else reading this, I don't really know what I expect you to do aside from read this, but if you're feeling bold, comment on this post on what you think I should do. If you don't want to have this traced to you (well from surface value anyways plus I don't know enough computer science to trace you) I think the comments should allow for anonymous comments.

I just wish I had remembered common sense.

I should've known better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...