Friday, October 18, 2019

It's Tougher Than Imagined

I should've expected that learning a new skill, much less a new fighting skill, was going to be tough. But if I commit myself to improving and practicing, I can develop this skill at a solid rate.

ICYMI, I started trying my hand (pun intended) at boxing. It's pretty fun. For awhile I wanted to learn a more aggressive martial art/fighting style. Not to say that I'm unsure of my skill and abilities in Aikido, but I also want to have options. And that's also not to say that once I get proficient at throwing punches that I'll start to pick fights or anything. No, I just want more skills under my belt so to speak. Plus if it comes down to it, I mean God forbid it does, but if I have to engage an aggressor, while yes in theory my Aikido should and would suffice, not everyone is going to be striking me in ways that I am comfortable or know how to deal with. Sure I can always just wait for the right attack that would position me to do what I know, but at the same time, it's better to end any fight as fast as it started. Obviously it's best if I never have to fight, but alas the world is a fallen world and people can get overly aggressive for no reason.

Anyways, I learned a newfound respect for boxers in all the physical conditioning they have to go through. Strength and endurance is a huge factor, as well as the technique. Then they also have to be able to tank hits as well as dish them out just as efficiently as if they weren't getting hit. I don't know if I'll ever spar anyone or if I'll ever learn how to tank a hit, but man, so much respect. I think I shouldn't worry about taking hits for now and just learn to get the technique and ideas down before I even think about sparring.

It's going to be many hours spent in front of the punching bag, and many calories burned as well as muscular fatigue. But given that it's a total body sport, I think I can use this to my advantage. Upper and lower body gets engaged, so it'll round out all my physical training, as well as give me a fun way to do cardio while also learning how to defend myself in more than just the defensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...