Monday, April 8, 2019

The Curse of Hailing Rides

In this day and age, we so willingly trust some random person to come pick us up through an app. While it helps keep people safe in place of them driving drunk or otherwise incapacitated, it simultaneously normalized just hopping into random cars without a second thought. There was a story that was brought to my attention in which unfortunately a 21 year old girl met her demise for getting into the wrong car. One that was not affiliated with Uber or Lyft (it didn't say which service she used).

My better half of my mind is saddened to hear this tragic news. It's never a good thing to hear about a (presumably) innocent person getting murdered. Well, it doesn't matter if they are innocent or not, murder shouldn't be the way one ends up going out of this world.

At the same time, the more cynical part of my mind is wondering how this happened? The service tells you the make, model, color, and license plate of the vehicle coming to pick you up. All it takes is a split second to do a walk around the car and at least match the make and model. Color should be obvious, and you can scrutinize the license plate later if you feel it necessary.

I don't know every detail of the story and I know I shouldn't be so negative in this situation, because regardless of what the circumstances are or what the whole story is, someone got murdered and that's the end of a life, which is majorly unfortunate. All I can hope is that this girl knew who her Savior is, and then just to pray for the family who lost their young (21 is still really young) daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...