Tuesday, April 9, 2019

I am the Knightmare (Long read & Strategies)

Okay so maybe that title's a little confusing.

Basically, it's just a nickname I'm using in my chat with my friend simply because I beat Arkham Knight's New Game+ mode, which is permanently locked on Knightmare difficulty.

I just thought that it was a cool nickname, and also it's Batman related lol.

For those who've not played any of the Arkham games before, assuming you play Normal (I don't remember if there's an Easy, but all games I play are Normal or harder because I'm no gaming casual), the enemies hit a decent amount of damage, but can go down pretty quickly in a flurry of attacks from you (the Batman). There's also an indicator that looks like a blue jagged arc that indicates when an enemy is about to hit (or yellow if they are attacking with a blade, or red if you can't counter it). That indicator tells you when to counter the attack to take no damage, and to potentially hit them back to take them down.

On Knightmare difficulty, everything is a lot harder and it makes you really feel like the Batman. I'm not kidding. You actually have to be aware of everything. Enemies hit super hard, and are basically damage sponges in that they tank a lot before you can take them down. I don't know the exact damage values nor the amount of attacks a normal enemy takes, but a brute (a big ol' fella who hits like a truck and is almost as big as one lol) takes a stun (from the cape) and then a beatdown, usually around 10 hits, assuming you're on Normal difficulty. Knightmare difficulty requires 20+ hits, and if there's other people around you, they can interrupt your flurry of attacks by hitting you, giving the brute a chance to recover from the stun.

Oh and if that weren't bad enough, they remove all indicators to counter or dodge. So you have to watch the movements of the enemies. See who's throwing a punch, or getting ready to throw one.

This difficulty also forces you to be strategic. By a huge margin more than Normal. You always want to perch above the group and plan out your attack. Primarily using the Disruptor gadget to eliminate medic's abilities to charge up an enemy (so that you get shocked and effectively can't hit the enemy initially, unless you Batclaw them to remove the charge), or that it incapacitates them when they try resuscitating a fallen ally of theirs. You'd also want to disable stun sticks, sentry guns, and detective mode detectors.

Side note: I'd highly suggest using the freeze bomb on any brutes around you. I think you can only freeze one at a time unless you cluster freeze, but I think clusters also stay frozen for a shorter period of time. But one less brute to worry about is better than nothing. Please note that freezes can be undone if you accidentally hit the guy or if you counter throw another guy into them. Also cape stuns break the freeze as well.

HUGE HELP: Make sure to utilize stealth as much as possible to shrink the crowd you're fighting, and to recharge your Fear Multi-Takedown ability. 5 less people in the fight make a huge difference.

Honestly, I have no idea why I wrote such a descriptive thing, giving strategies as well to beating Knightmare mode, but I also wanted to explain it to people who may not have played these games so that they can understand that it was no cake walk to beat this game. There were moments I was frustrated in the progress I made in one fight, just to be taken down and having to reset because there wasn't a checkpoint, and the fights are bad enough as it is.

The point of all this is, that I beat a tough game mode, and I'm really happy I did. It took me way shorter than I originally anticipated, so part of me wonders if it was actually that hard, or if it was because I'm just good at games. Also part of me knew exactly how to navigate the game because I played the Normal difficulty before it (you have to beat the regular game in order to unlock New Game+).

Here's a screenshot of my snapchat story, displaying the 100% on the campaign story in Arkham Knight. In total for New Game+, I'm only 80.5% done with everything. I'll probably be rounding that up a bit and finishing more side objectives, but to 100% the entire game is gonna be tedious because of how many stupid Riddler trophies there are and that you cannot finish the game without collecting all 243 of them or however many there are.

Also, that Batman Beyond sticker is just him goofing around and dancing. I would've uploaded the video, but I don't think blogs allow for video, so this is as good as it's gonna get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...