Friday, February 15, 2019

The Body is Confusing

I've been working out on a pretty regular basis, with the hope to achieve shodan (1st degree black belt) in Aikido this summer. Also with drawing inspiration from Bruce Wayne hehe.

I don't get how my body can do the seated leg press at 135 pounds for 3 sets by 8 reps, with a fourth set being till failure, which usually caps out around 12-16 reps. Meanwhile yesterday, when I did my leg day, I hit 3 sets of 12 reps of walking lunges, holding a 20 pounds dumbbell in each hand. So I was lunging my body weight plus an extra 40 pounds, and I feel sore in my quads and in my glutes.

I guess the answer is right there. Bodyweight plus an extra 40 pounds would mean that, assuming my legs are lunging my entire bodyweight given that the legs weigh a solid chunk of my weight, I'd be attempting to stand up from the lunge at around 228.8 pounds (188.8 + 40). That's a solid chunk of weight right there. I don't know if that's how the calculations would actually work, as I'd reckon the weight being stressed on the forward leg is probably less than total bodyweight with the extra weights. But even if we take off like 20-30 pounds for the forward leg, that's still close to the front leg pressing up my entire self.

I'm trying out different exercises, and trying to find more practical movements to get me to become my own sort of Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...