Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Versatility

Today at work, I had been one of 5 people on staff for the duration of my shift. That meant that potentially I'd have to be more responsible for the things that I am to do.

It felt pretty good. For the longest time (I mean I've only been working for about a month and a half now) I was not allowed to use the slicer since I hadn't been "officially trained" or "cleared" to slice for customers. I had learned how to use the machine to slice onions and lettuce, but not the cheeses nor the meats. The only things I had been allowed to do was "sprinkle" a.k.a. put the toppings and dressings on, wrap the sandwiches in the paper, run the register, and anything in the background (dishes, cleaning, racking bread, etc).

Since things have been slower and there have been mostly online or phone orders, I was finally given training grounds to practice my slicing and I also had been allowed to grill for customers. Previously, I had only been grilling for myself for my own food since it doesn't matter if I "mess" it up for myself, I'm still eating it regardless.

There was just some sense of accomplishment and feel good status of being able to now do literally everything that there is to do at a Jersey Mike's. Well, aside from placing orders for more deliveries, but that's an assistant manager/general manager job, so naturally I won't have to worry about that. But as a crew member, I have now been trained to do everything. And the ability to just jump in wherever I need to be feels good. The versatility of covering a spot or a task for another, potentially more experienced, coworker just felt good.

It helped to make me feel like my life has a purpose. That my life has a meaning. That I am not utterly without skill nor lacking ability to do anything. It just feels good. I don't really know how to explain it.

Now I've definitely felt "good" things that were indefinitely better feeling, but this was a "wow I can do something" kind of feeling. Just a sense of pride for all the work finally feeling like it means something and I'm not being babied 100% of the way. Sure I have a lot to learn before I can truly be my own adult, but I feel like that now at work I don't have to be watched or supervised all the time. Sure I wouldn't mind a pointer here and there, but my assistant manager was saying I did well on slicing and that I had good practices. My bosses think I do pretty well and trust me, I'd like to think anyways.

So overall? I feel good. This is good. I feel like this is a positive moment that I should enjoy. That I should be grateful for and thankful for. This feels like it could be one of those "good times" moments, and I need to enjoy it and not take it for granted. 2020 doesn't necessarily have to always be bad. Life is full of good and bad, so it all depends on what you choose to focus on. And from now on, I want to be choosing the good perspective of things. To be more thankful and grateful for all the things my life is leading up to and where I go.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...