Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Iroh: Everyone's Favorite Uncle

Have you ever watched Avatar: The Last Airbender? I'm not talking about Avatar by James Cameron, nor am I talking about the trash, garbage fire abomination that is The Last Airbender by M. Night Shyamalan. I'm talking source material, best show to ever exist on Nicktoons, totally ahead of its time, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

If you haven't, you should. Walmart sells the whole series collection on DVD (at what point will a DVD be relevant and when will I be "too old" for using or knowing about them?) for about $27. Don't bother with the combo pack for Legend of Korra, it just isn't worth it in my opinion.

If you have watched ATLA (I'm not about to write out the title every time, even though it is such an amazing show, I would give it proper honor 😅), you would know about Uncle Iroh. Iroh, for those unaware and still reading, is Fire Prince Zuko's, well, uncle. And for some slight context, Zuko is the banished prince of the Fire Nation, sent to find and capture the Avatar so that Fire Lord Ozai can end the Avatar and take ahold of the entire world as Fire Lord Sozin before him had wanted to do.

Throughout the series, we see the character development of Zuko, and a lot of comes from Iroh's wisdom and insights that he pours out freely and to any who he deems needs it. He is one of the kindest souls in the Avatar world, and it's just a shame he isn't real. The world could use a real life Iroh.

Anyways, I bring up Iroh because there was this picture someone (I don't know who) drew, with one of his wise insights:
"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely" -Uncle Iroh

Such a powerful quote that is applicable to, dare I say, most if not all people across the globe. Everyone faces failure in one way or another. For me, as I have expressed multiple times now on this blog, I've failed out of college. I've also had shortcomings, or failures as you could call them, in my maturity, in my actions, in my decisions, and in so many aspects that I'm sure I don't even know or could possibly acknowledge due to either forgetting it or because I am too blinded by my own thoughts and conceptions to realize how much I have failed in that area.

Moving on, the quote is great because it gives you a chance to step back and realize that while a failure is indeed a setback, it's not permanent. It doesn't have to be, but it can be if you let it. Just like how some might say that "anger gives you great power, but if you let it, it will destroy you" *cough* Ra's al Ghul *cough*. So while I see 2020 as failure after failure, knockback after knockback, setback after setback, I can still get up and take what I have learned in and through my own failure to either move on or retry my hand at what I had failed at, but with new knowledge, wisdom, and insights to do better and be better.

So, the question that is left standing is: will I let my own failure be the end of me? Or will I just take my shortcomings and my failures and learn from them; take the new knowledge and wisdom gained from being knocked down and get up and fight on? To keep moving forward with experience and wisdom. To keep on learning on a day to day basis to make myself better. To be better. To stop worrying about other people being right for me or perfect for me, when I can work on being right or as perfect as I can get as a human with flaws.

With that being said, thank you very much, Iroh. Thank you for being so well written and such an amazing character that I'm sure everyone who has ever seen the show loves. I know I'm thanking a character and I should be thanking the writer, but you know what I mean, right?

So as my final note before this post ends is: let us all take Iroh's wisdom and insights and learn from it to make us better and press onwards, no matter how many or how few times we encounter and tangle with failure. Failure is just one more step closer to success. It's one more notch under our belts to make us better and develop us more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...