Friday, September 6, 2019

Who's Wearing Hockey Pads?

Hi.

So some of you may know, but for those who might be reading this and don't know, I am the Liberty Batman. Go figure. The guy who loves Batman and has previously made a Liberty themed Instagram account for fun would be the Liberty Batman.

Side note, I finally revealed my own Batsuit, which I will eventually actually make each piece on my own, but for now, I'll settle for just assembling different pieces together. Gotta start somewhere, plus this is only V1.0

Here it is. The pants probably could use some more armored looks, but I'll be wearing boots and shin guards, so it would look a bit better, but I didn't have the boots at the time of taking this picture.

Anyways

I troll commented on LU Crushes like I normally do, but occasionally if the opportunity arises, I comment as "The Liberty Batman". That way I can kinda leverage their platform to bring some exposure for more fun on my account.

If you've gotten to here and are wondering what other account I have made, it's @pandakingatlu on Instagram. It didn't last long, it was more of a 1-off with a resurgence on Halloween of last year, but I never did anything with it after that. Hopefully this new lasts a little longer.

In my commenting, I replied to some other LU account called "LU Dalek". They replied (to which I did not see until today), saying how I'm not the real Batman, and that I'm just some guy in hockey pads (referencing the Dark Knight movie) and also linked to a page titled "Batman of LU". I took a look, and this person had a slightly better costume in some aspects, where it looked like the suit used in Dark Knight/Dark Knight Rises. This same person also had made a video for Coffeehouse, and had a pretty good video.


Honestly, not a bad video. And the suit isn't too bad.

So it put me in a "what do I do now" kind of mindset, at least at this moment. I already put the resources and time into crafting my own Batsuit, and then to realize that there was indeed a Batman on campus once before. But not one anytime recently. 5 years ago, if you were to base it solely on his Facebook posts: https://www.facebook.com/LUBatman/

Because part of me felt a little challenged, I did the math and between what I could find based off of the dates on his posts are that his first post was November 5th, 2013, and the latest post was May 2nd, 2014, making him only last just over 1 semester, or 178 days. @thelibertybatman has been around for 148 days at the time of writing this post.

So now what? I can't give up now. I've put too much into this and I don't want to be discouraged because of some person who claimed the mantle long before I was even here.

I guess I'll just have to keep on running this account of mine, and take it for as long as I am here at Liberty still. When the day comes for me to graduate or finally step away (as I may or may not be back for a Master's degree, assuming I can figure out what I want to do with my life and also get my grades up), then I suppose I'll have to retire as Liberty's Batman, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to hang up the cowl. I can still be Batman I guess.

Lastly, part of me went into defensive mode, and wants to be like "oh I've been working out and getting stronger and putting effort into this", or "oh I'm a black belt so I have some skill that a true Batman would need". Then the other part of me realizes there's no need to be upset. Batman is not, and most likely never will be "my character" because it belongs to DC. All I'm doing is borrowing the name and the mantle.

I suppose I should just keep on doing as I've been because ultimately, whoever made this video and whoever posted on their Facebook page (for those few months), most likely moved on and left the mantle of Batman up for whoever the next person who is willing to take on.

I guess this also clearly bothers me a bit, hence such a long post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...