Wednesday, August 21, 2019

#boycottSony Is Useless

Hi.

So apparently, Marvel/Disney was seeking to take a large portion of profits from all future Spiderman films. I've seen numbers of about 50%, which is a huge chunk. Almost majority, at least in terms of ownership.

While Spiderman is indeed a Marvel character, the rights for movies is still owned by Sony. Hence the whole hashtag. In case you missed it, there's an internet war, of sorts, because everyone's upset that Sony decided to remove Spiderman from the MCU because of the demands that Disney was making as far as profits go in order to keep Spiderman in the MCU.

Thus, #boycottSony was born.

I get it. It's upsetting that a beloved character is being removed from the grand storyline of the Avengers and the universe in which multitudes of amazing heroes and great stories (except Captain Marvel) exist. And it's a double blow because everyone really loves Tom Holland as the Spiderman.

But to boycott the entire company? That's a bit extreme.

To apply something similar in my life and my likes, I should be boycotting DC when Ben Affleck stepped down from writing the next Batman film and also stepped away from donning the cowl again, leading to Matt Reeves taking over "The Batman", and casting Robert Pattinson, a debatable poor decision, but I'll give Robert a shot.

I was indeed saddened that Ben wasn't going to be Batman again. I thought he did Batman really well. Had the right body figure, and the right mannerisms for a Dark Knight. And especially so because he recently released his ideas of what he would've done for the movie. He was going to send Batman to Arkham Asylum. Now if that's not cool, then I don't know what is. We haven't had a cinematic, live action Arkham Asylum yet (as far as I know, but even if we did, it's nothing new and recent) Disclaimer: I say that because while I have watched every Batman film out there, I don't exactly remember all the details of the older ones, and whether or not Arkham Asylum explicitly exists or not.

Anyways, let's not just get all upset and throw fire at Sony. They're running a multi-billion dollar company, and naturally as an entrepreneur and business owner, they want to make as much money as they can, while also trying to please their audiences. I don't blame them for not wanting to give up half the profit. That's a bit steep. Come down to maybe a 60/40 split, and maybe we'll talk, but I'm not sacrificing so much.

That's all I have to say about this dumb hashtag for now, so I guess we'll see if social media and their hashtags have any power to sway large companies to bend to their will.


P.S. While writing this post, every time I wrote "Spiderman", the red squiggly underline appeared, to tell me that that's not how you spell it. Then every time I wrote "Batman", there was no squiggly line, so that means that Batman is acceptable.

P.P.S. I suppose Spiderman is technically "Spider-man", but that seems off to have to write it like that, even though I know source material does in fact include that hyphen. Why does he have to have a hyphen? No cool superhero has a hyphen in their name. Only spaces if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...