Saturday, May 18, 2019

The Duality of Fitness

So I went to the gym today. First time in 3 days. Which I guess I can argue is already more than what some people are doing.

Here's the thing. I kinda hate going to the gym just because the idea of "well I gotta strain myself (technically) and just cycle through various strength training exercises, to be followed by at least 30 minutes on the treadmill (which I should be running instead of walking, but that's a story for another time)".

I mean if I can actually get myself to physically be at the gym it's one of those things where I say to myself, "well Geoff, you drove here, so you might as well make the most of it since it'd be a waste of gas to drive here and then just immediately go home".

I also usually enjoy my time at the gym anyways. Lifting weights is an incredible stress reliever because you can work out any anxiety or stresses you have, and it also makes you feel good that you have strength. Even if you're a beginner who can only curl 5 pounds. Once you start going consistently and you notice yourself lifting 10, then 15, then 20 pounds, even just the realization of progress is a good mood booster.

I also like the feeling of strength. One of the few things I can control in my life. I can control what I eat, and how my physique is. Then I also like the way my muscles work. My favorite muscles are my chest, and now my shoulder muscles. Mostly because those are the muscle groups I can easily see in a mirror. I've also started loving my triceps because there's a pretty good definition in them now.

So there is definitely a love/hate relationship with the gym. It makes me feel good afterwards, feel strong, feel powerful so that I can emulate my favorite superhero. It's just that the road between my current self and my superhero-esque body is full of rough training days and a lot of time doing cardio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...