Thursday, April 18, 2019

The Love/Hate of Exercise/Gym

Over this entire spring semester, I decided to commit to a more regular exercise routine so that I can get into shape for my shodan (1st degree black belt) test in Aikido that's going to be around end of July/beginning of August.

I initially did only 2 workouts per week, each day of just one or two exercises per muscle group, one day of upper body, and one day of legs. Both days would have some running afterwards, so it was a good start to reconditioning my body back into the better physique I once had.

Disclaimer: I never was super buff before, I just was better at cardio and could run 3 miles no problem. Today? I can maybe run 2 miles at a 6 mph pace, but other than that, not really

So while this was a good start to it, I should've increased my difficulty/number of workout sessions a lot sooner. I ended up kinda wasting away 6-7 weeks or so. While I technically have been relatively consistently hitting the gym for this entire semester, I only really count me actually committing to working out for this past month or so.

Around mid-March, I started doing more work out days, and each day would only focus 2 muscle groups, and have more than 2 exercises per group, to increase my strength gain rate and to keep the caloric expenditure higher. I will say that I have indeed noticed my strength go up exponentially since switching to a more rigorous schedule, so if you're struggling to see results, perhaps it's time to kick it up a few notches. I am also not responsible if you injure yourself as a result of kicking it up a notch.

With that being said, this past week has been pretty bad as far as hitting the gym. I got lazy and made excuses for not going. But today I finally pushed myself to go back to the gym to at least get one solid workout session before I head home for Easter since I most likely won't be working out at all, if not barely something.

It's been about 2-3 hours since I concluded today. No cardio today just because of time's sake. I had a bunch of homework to finish before this weekend, and I want to go to a worship night with my hall at 9, of which I'll probably be a little late to.

Anyways, back to the main point. While I temporarily lost motivation to go to the gym this week, I feel rejuvenated and ready to get back onto the workout plan I had going before. I feel strong right now, and I feel good about my body. Of course I have things I want improved, such as increased strength, bigger muscles, lesser fat, but those are all goals I can achieve with a consistent workout schedule.

Oh gym, I love you for making me feel strong and feel good about myself, but I also hate you because it kinda sucks having to not go do something fun like playing video games or watching videos/TV in place of going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...