Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Discreditation

On a separate note, but still related to workplace struggles.

The other day, before I even knew I was taken off the schedule for this Friday in lieu of cutting hours across the board because of restrictions statewide to prevent COVID-19 spread, I had already lost 1.5 hours per day, leading to a total of 6 hours lost. After the Friday cut, I lost a total of 12.5 hours of work this week. Luckily for me, I am still supported by my parents so it's not like I will have a late rent payment, or late any payment.

Speaking of which, I was just sort of half-complaining about losing out on the hours. Sure I don't "need" the money because I don't have bills to pay at the moment, but as a working adult, I still want to put in as much time as possible (40 hours in this case since they so far won't schedule more than that). So I was saying to a coworker that "darn, I need all the money I can get".

To my disbelief, he responds with, "hold on, aren't you still living with your parents?" I said yes because it's true. Then he continues to go on with, "well then you don't need the money. You can just have mommy and daddy pay for everything. Do you even pay for your own cell phone?" To which the answer is no. He continues on with a short tirade of how I don't get the right to say I need the money. While yes it may be true, I'm not here to thrive off of my parents' work. Sure I still benefit from it, but I'm also trying to become more responsible. To learn the value of money and hard work, and to just start building up for my future. It doesn't matter what I do or do not pay, but what matters, or at least what should matter is the fact that I'm working 40 hours a week. If I had been "getting mommy and daddy to pay for everything", I wouldn't even be working. Why "waste my time" if I have apparently unlimited money at my disposal?

Luckily my assistant manager and another coworker came to my aid and said, "hey don't discredit Geoff's hard work. He's here 40 hours a week and putting in the work, so if he wants the money, he can have it if he's working for it".

I'm just upset that because I was born into a family in which my dad's a doctor that all the sudden my hard work and want/need for money is discredited. Why does that have an effect on me? It would be fine if I weren't putting in the hard work and mostly doing nothing at work, then that would make sense. But if I'm working just as hard as the next guy, I shouldn't be discredited.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I felt a bit insulted that all the sudden my work meant nothing. It's crazy how people get these twisted ideas in their heads that just because one's parents might have money or be well off that all the sudden the kids can't try to make a name for themselves or at least go to work and be recognized for their hard work (assuming there is hard work to be recognized).

All in all, I just want respect where it's due. I try my best to be respectful of others, and I know I have shortcomings. But if I respect you for your hard work and work ethic, please just respect my hard work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eclipsed In Darkness

I guess it was foolish of me to ever think I would last a full calendar year of not returning here, but here we are. It's late. 1:23 a.m...